My Copyright

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected

9 February 2011

WRITING RULES

 Words of Writing Wisdom


'Do it every day. Make a habit of putting your observations into words and gradually this will become instinct. This is the most important rule of all and naturally, I don't follow it '
Geoff Dyer

I like pondering the odd quote or two. Mostly writing quotes, but they could be about anything. It's just words that people have about a particular subject, in this case writing. This one caught my eye because of the last sentence. Writing rules are everywhere;  rules about how much, when, how, who with, what with and what on; but the old adage remains true even for writers. Rules are meant to be broken but also rules are a very personal thing. Rules that work for me, may not for any other writer. In fact I don't have many writing rules, apart from one. That is to read and write - perhaps two rules then.  Writing isn't instinct. 


Writing is tough, writing needs to be worked at and it certainly doesn't come naturally. If it did, everyone would be a winning writer and there wouldn't be any bad writing to compare the good with. At least I feel I'm contributing somehow to the writing process.



Don't Think Just Write

No comments: