My Copyright

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected

6 February 2009

TECHNOPHOBE

Current Work: Queries and Website updating

Listening to: Steve Wright in the afternoon (via broadband)

Reading: In Pursuit of Love (Nancy Mitford)


First Thought for the Day:

Myth: we have to save the earth. Frankly, the earth doesn't need to be saved. Nature doesn't give a hoot if human beings are here or not. The planet has survived cataclysmic and catastrophic changes for millions upon millions of years. Over that time, it is widely believed, 99 percent of all species have come and gone while the planet has remained. Saving the environment is really about saving our environment - making it safe for ourselves, our children, and the world as we know it. If more people saw the issue as one of saving themselves, we would probably see increased motivation and commitment to actually do so. -Robert M. Lilienfeld, management consultant and author (b. 1953) and William L. Rathje, archaeologist and author (b. 1945)


Publish and Be Damned

Well, I’m damned but not publish. I feel a little like the last word of the day today, irascible. I shouldn’t be because its Friday. But I am because its Friday and I don’t feel convinced I have done everything I need to.

As you know, I’ve been designing a new website with a new host provider. Having got used to the web design software, I have produced a very simple, ‘clean’ if not amateur site. But a site all the same, on which I would like to showcase my work (which is also at this point unpublished – should I be listening?). Anyway having finished the design, can I upload it. As I now have broadband I thought it would be as simple as pressing a button. No. Nothing is ever that simple - especially with technical ‘things’. I’m just a simple soul; I like things to do what they say they will do without any additional knowledge required. Maybe I expect too much but…I’ll keep trying.


Progress Report

Well, as you can see I’ve been rather tied up. I have three queries ready (well OK then, two in my head and one drafted) and a couple more to follow up. As well as problems with my website I’ve been having problems with my database. I knew I should have stuck to pen and paper! Here’s to a new week, I’m off for a very large G&T.


And Finally, the Last Word of the Day:

irascible

PRONUNCIATION:

(i-RAS-uh-buhl)

MEANING:

adjective:

1. Quick-tempered.

2. Showing anger or resulting from anger.

ETYMOLOGY:

From Latin irascibilis (quick to anger), from irasci (to grow angry), from ira (anger). Ultimately from the Indo-European root eis- (passion), which is also the source of irate, ire, hierarchy, hieroglyphic, and estrogen.

USAGE:

"Mr. Weir concludes from his large experience that the erection of the feathers is caused much more by anger than by fear. He gives as an instance a hybrid goldfinch of a most irascible disposition, which when approached too closely by a servant, instantly assumes the appearance of a ball of ruffled feathers."

Charles Darwin; The Expression of Emotions in Man and Animals; 1872

No comments: