My Copyright

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected

18 February 2009

WRITE SPACE

Current Work: Suite 101 articles, fiction editing

Listening to: Nothing, having trouble connecting to BBC i player!

Reading: Bad Luck and Trouble (Lee Child), Writing Magazine


First Thought for the Day:

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. -Eleanor Roosevelt, diplomat and author (1884-1962)


Workplace Conditions

I’ve probably written about my workspace before. Its in the basement of my Italian casa, which eventually will become a nice sunny kitchen. However, at the moment it is the coldest place of the house. I am typing this wearing fingerless gloves, I have four layers of clothing and two pairs of socks on my feet. The radiator is on but frankly not having much affect and I made my Man Friday block up all the holes to the outside world! Overnight we have had about 6 inches of snow and as I speak there is a blizzard blowing. The end of my nose has frostbite – I’m certain. How many workers would put up with these conditions? Not many I bet. They would be all quoting health and safety figures or some such like. But no. No me, not a writer. We have to persevere no matter what. Well, I shall be relocating to the warmth of the lounge this afternoon along with my favourite writing mag which arrived yesterday. I may be gone for some time.


Midweek Progress

Not going too badly considering the extreme conditions I’ve described above. I had a few technical problems on Monday with my writing database which wiped out a whole afternoon but par for the course. Have published my weekly on-line article on Suite 101 about Beniamino Gigli, an Italian opera tenor and have edited some more scenes of my novel in progress, The Flying Angels. In addition have ordered presents for my two granddaughters who were very conveniently born on the same day 3 years apart and have been searching for some images to go on their birthday cards that I must make this weekend. So not bad for halfway through the week. How is it for you?


And Finally, the Last Word of the Day:

sword of Damocles

not really a word...


PRONUNCIATION:

(sord uhv DAM-uh-kleez)

MEANING:

noun: An ever-present threat; an impending disaster.

ETYMOLOGY:

After Damocles of Greek legend. Damocles was a courtier who flattered the ruler Dionysius, tyrant of Syracuse, to excess. The fulsome praise so annoyed the king that he decided to teach him a lesson. He held a banquet in donor of Damocles but when Damocles saw the sword hanging by a single horse-hair over his head, he lost all taste for the lavish feast. He realized that even those who appear to enjoy great fortune face fears and worries. By the way, the word impending literally means hanging over.

USAGE:

"Roth said, 'The threat of an audit ... looms like the sword of Damocles over the heads of taxpayers.'"

IRS Chief Wants to Balance Service, Enforcement; The Advocate (Stamford, Connecticut); Feb 13, 2009.

No comments: