My Copyright

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected

21 January 2009

INSPIRATION & MOTIVATION

Current Work: Non-fiction (Suite 101), editing, website design

Listening to: Radio 2 via the internet and dogs play fighting

Reading: Psychologies Magazine, Fleshmarket Close (Ian Rankin)


First Thought for the Day:

Patriotism is proud of a country's virtues and eager to correct its deficiencies; it also acknowledges the legitimate patriotism of other countries, with their own specific virtues. The pride of nationalism, however, trumpets its country's virtues and denies its deficiencies, while it is contemptuous toward the virtues of other countries. It wants to be, and proclaims itself to be, "the greatest", but greatness is not required of a country; only goodness is. -Sydney J. Harris, journalist and author (1917-1986)


A Writers Routine

I’ve read many times, how important it is for writers to have a routine. Most of us need routine in some manner or form because it ensures we get things done. Usually, and fellow procrastinators will understand this, those things which we probably don’t like, saving the good things as ‘treats’. I have a loose routine, which is mainly led by our young puppy, Bertie. He wakes most mornings about seven, so after breakfast and a quick canter round the field, I am usually writing my journal. Again before lunch and a longer walk before it gets dark and in between I get on with tasks. However, when we have Bertie’s sister to stay the routine goes a bit haywire and I find it very disrupting. Two young puppies who have a combined weight of over 30kg racing around our small casa is something that cannot be ignored. And then the barking, which started before 6am this morning. Although our neighbours are a little way away, the first hint of a whine and I am flying out of the bedroom door, pyjamas flapping and waving my arms about like a goose might do with its wings.

Roll on next week…


Speech Writing

I’ve not done any speech writing. Come to think of it I haven’t made any speeches either. I have delivered educational programmes and lectures but they’re a different kind of thing, a little more – interactive. I watched (along with most of the world with a TV or radio) the Inauguration Speech. Barak Obama spoke for 18 minutes, succinctly, passionately and without reference to any notes at all. I found it an uplifting experience, yet subtle. No clichés, no rambling and ranting, and no preaching. The only religious sort of reference came at the end, which was OK. Well, the whole world is watching now to see what happens in practice. I don’t envy his position; I wouldn’t want to be his speech writer either. Though something tells me that he probably doesn’t need one.


Work in Progress

I’m on target for completing four chapters of my draft novel for first reading by my Man Friday. He’s read the first two scenes and said he wanted to read more so that’s a good sign. And I trust him to tell me the truth.

I’ve uploaded my latest article to Suite 101, a short biography of Albert Schweitzer. My interest in him initiated when we were planning our wedding and we opted for a humanist ceremony. I used some of his quotes in my pledge to my Man Friday; I found them very inspirational and relevant to me.

I’ve also been putting the finishing touches to a short story I’m going to submit to Peoples Friend publication. They haven’t accepted anything I’ve done yet but they always provide useful feedback, just one line, but its feedback all the same.

Finally I have been renewing my non-fiction website which I must now update – you can find at Writing Pad. I’ve also subscribed to a new website for my fiction stuff which I write under the pen name of Louise Charles. This site will be up and ready soon, watch this space (and if nothing happens give me a nudge.)

All in all not bad considering the canine disruptions!


And Finally, the Last Word of the Day:


endemic

PRONUNCIATION:

(en-DEM-ik)

MEANING:

adjective:

1. Natural to a particular people or place; always present in a particular area.

2. Confined to a geographic region.

ETYMOLOGY:

From Greek endmos (native), from en- (in) + demos (people).

USAGE:

"Some of the worst actors on the international stage can also take advantage of the collective exhaustion and outrage that people feel with official corruption, as we've seen with Islamic extremists who promise purification, but deliver totalitarianism. Endemic corruption opens the door to this kind of movement, and in its wake comes a new set of distortions and betrayals of public trust."

Barack Obama; An Honest Government, A Hopeful Future; Speech at the University of Nairobi, Kenya; Aug 28, 2006.

No comments: