My Copyright

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected

14 January 2009

WAR AND WILDLIFE

Current Work: Non-Fiction article, Fiction editing, job application

Listening to: The dog chewing on a bone

Reading: Rosalind Franklin, Fleshmarket Close (Ian Rankin)

First Thought for the Day
The souls of emperors and cobblers are cast in the same mold. The same reason that makes us wrangle with a neighbor creates a war betwixt princes. -Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592)

Wednesday Wobbles?
Well, not wobbles really. The week seems to be going quite well. The other half is working in the freezing office downstairs, and I’m up in the warmer place with a snoring dog at my feet. Not a bad deal is it?

I have uploaded my weekly article to Suite 101 on Health Facts from World War II. I find it quite fascinating that during such hard times, with a lot of personal loss and life happening out with your control, that people were probably healthier then than before (and probably even now). And, they sort of got on with things, supporting one another and refusing to have their spirits broken. Perhaps we all have something to learn, not just health wise but to stay positive whilst all around you there is chaos. Well, that’s my soapbox bit. It’s good to get it off my chest.

Up For Sale
I’ve been updating my CV this week (or is it called a resume?). I never know what to call the damn thing…). There is an opportunity for another editing job at a publishing house where I already have a couple of small contracts. I haven’t done a CV or sold myself in this very formal way for some time. But that got me thinking. I’m continually trying to sell myself (well my work, my skills that is) on a regular basis, putting out queries, submitting manuscripts and plodding the virtual footpaths to find an agent. It takes time and some careful editing to get your message across succinctly and clearly. What really amazes me is the amount of ‘stuff’ I’ve actually done. It’s a sort of wow moment when I read it again to make sure I haven’t made anything up. Many of us, put ourselves down and concentrate on the rejections and failures rather than congratulating ourselves for our successes.

Wild Animals
Apart from my all-encompassing passion for writing, I do enjoy other activities, which I think is important for writers, otherwise we can become a bit dull at the edges. One of them is taking the Bertie the Beast (our puppy - 3 months old and huge!) out for his daily walks. We take it in turns in the morning, he’s fully house trained but by 6.30 -7am, he has had enough. This morning it was my turn and looking out of the window, I groaned inwardly. It was misty, with a very light drizzle. The grey, gloomy light did not look inviting. Anyway, after Bertie has gobbled up his breakfast – this takes approximately five seconds – I don wellies and anorak and off we go into the nearby field. Bertie heard them first, his tail straight out behind him like a fishing rod and his small ears pinned back. Then I heard the snorts and scourging of the wild pigs, which are common here. I wouldn’t know what to do if one of them came out, I think I might faint, but then again I need to protect Bertie. Anyway I made a lot noise handclapping and calling to the puppy. The rustling got louder as did my heartbeat and then nothing. The pigs had scurried off the other way. With a sigh of relief and a welcome lick from Bertie, we did our rounds and returned to our warm and safe casa.

Finally, the Last Word of the Day:

newel

PRONUNCIATION:

(NOO-uhl, NYOO-)

MEANING:

noun: 1. A centre column that supports the steps of a spiral staircase. 2. A post supporting the handrail of a staircase.

ETYMOLOGY:

From Middle English nowel, from Middle French nouel (kernel), from Late Latin nucalis (nutlike), from Latin nuc-, nux (nut).

USAGE:

"Midway through the stair project he appeared with a solid pine stair newel, stripped and sanded."

Mary Meier, A Millworker's House Remade, The Boston Globe, Feb 24, 2000.

No comments: