My Copyright

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected

3 April 2009

GETTING INTO THE GROOVE

Current Work: Drafting short story, outlining new novel, queries
Listening to: The dog whining at the window
Reading: Tripwire A Jack Reacher Novel by Lee Child

Losing Momentum
The one thing I'm learning fast about the writers life is that it's very easy to become distracted. I'm sure this is true of many 'proper' jobs but as a writer I think the tendency for distraction is probably a natural trait. So this morning I have changed my routine a little. Yesterday I became very distracted by a little domestic job I needed to do. It was so banal I can't even mention it here, but it took up a good couple of hours and then I didn't end up with the result I wanted! What I did get was cross. Cross with myself and extremly infuriated that I didn't do the things I wanted to do - WRITING!
I still suffer from this guilt thing when it comes to writing. But this morning I have banished the gremlin on my shoulder and have set out my tasks for the morning which are writing tasks, this blog being one of them. Then when, and only when, I have completed those will I allow myself the other distracting bits. It's working so far, but then it's only been 2 and a bit hours since I began.

Looking Ahead
We have a friend coming to stay for a few days next week, so I may be a little more than distracted, but in preparation I have already written and submitted an article for Suite 101 on Hans Christian Anderson. I just love his stories even now and if I lived closer to my granddaughter would really enjoy reading them to her.

No comments: