My Copyright

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected

28 April 2009

THIS WRITING BUSINESS

Current work: Outlining new novel, writing chapter of joint novel, drafting non-fiction
Listening to: an annoying fly buzzing around my head
Reading: A Change of Heart by Jodi Piccoult

Sigh of Relief
I finally finished the editing and produce Draft number 2 on Saturday. This was after I'd nearly thrown the PC out of the window. For some reason my computer always decides to play up when I'm on the last leg of something. You know that time, when you are really tired, but so near the end you daren't stop. Well that's exactly where I was when my computer tells me in that annoying way 'Micrsoft Word has made an error and needs to close down...' I can't tell you the expletives that came erupting from my usually sweet mouth, but I can tell you that I somehow broke a plastic ruler! Anyway, Draft 2 is now printed and awaiting another read by my Man Friday who is also helping out with checking some of the factual data. This novel writing business is not just about writing that I can tell you.

The Riddler
I've decided to dedicate a few lines to something which is writing related and puzzles me. In the hope that I will be offered some suggestions for solving said conundrum, or I decide that it obviously doesn't matter.
So to start this off it's contractions -when and when not to use. Having completed the editing I use a number of tools and tricks to help with this. One of them is the use of Micrsofts Spell and Grammar check. I do use this with caution as it is not always the best advice, certainly not for writing fiction. But all the time it points out contractions and recommends the full wordage is used. So for e.g. (I'm teaching grandmothers to suck eggs here,) it is instead of it's, could not instead of couldn't, were not instead of weren't and so on... I think that there is probably a balance and that often we use more contractions in speech, so that is the rule I have tried to follow but I'd be interested to know what other writers do?

BookWorm

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson




Title: Absolutely brillant and hits the spot as far as the book is concerned

Characters: A man and a woman who may have met and loved before?
Plot: The man (a living gargoyle due to burns sustained in a car crash) learn how to love himself again following terrible injuries sustained. The woman, former psychiatric patient assists with his journey of discovery and of learning to love himself for just himself. This is achieved through the telling of tales from centuries ago, where apparently they were lovers, man and wife. He holds the key to her inner peace and freedom.
Setting: Modern day and scenes from the thirteenth century where they first knew each other. Wonderfully narrated passages relating to Dantes The Inferno and graphic language is used to its full potential all the way through.
Perspective: Mainly first person, from each of the main characters.
In a Word: Fantastical; Creative; Descriptive; Colourful
Recommendation: Definitely but this book needs a concentrated read to help with the flow and keep up with the flash backs.

No comments: