My Copyright

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected

16 June 2009

WORK IN HAND

Current Work: Research for new novel, free writing, writing group critiques
Listening to: The birdsong outside my office - a Redstart I think...
Reading: The Luminous Life of Lily Aphrodite by Beatrice Collins

Starting a New Project
I am getting really excited about starting my next novel. So much so, I need to keep myself in check so that I don't start too early. Having now forgotten (what? how long is my nose?) that I have submitted my first novel to an agent who has agreed to review it I am now focused on the work in hand. I don't know about you but I'm a bit of a research geek. I like to seek out all possible information so that I can sort through it all and choose the bits that are relevant. Trouble is that could go on forever, so I need to put a time limit on it. After all, the story needs writing, I can check out the facts after. Having been through the process once though I do need to take up my own advice (which by the way I have written up and has been accepted for The Writers Forum magazine). The advice which tells me to plot out a vague beginning, middle and end, so that I can reach
The End, without months and years flying by. So progress will be reported on here and that should provide me with the kick up the...motivation, I need.

The Book Worm

The Predator by Patricia Cornwall



Characters: Kay Scarpetta, her niece Lucy and a number of nasty criminals including a strange being called HOG (Hand of God)
Setting: In America somewhere, various locations, of which I can't remember now.
Plot: Murder, abuse, mental health, illness, love and relationships. A bit of everything.
Quick Summary: Its a typical Cornwall novel of the Scarpetta journal full of gory details about what happens to a dead body and murderous thoughts, deeds and acts. As usual Scarpetta wins out, not only in her work, but in her life too.
Recommendation: It took me a while to get into this, but once I did I flew through it. This is the kind of book you can skip through quite easily and although very formulaic is quite entertaining if a little gory. Yes, I'd read another.

Confucius Says...Quotes on Writing and Writers

'Say all you have to say in the fewest possible words, or your reader will be sure to skip them; and in the plainest possible words or he will certainly misunderstand them.'

Samuel Johnson


No comments: